Ideal For: S-Band Prototyping
Transmitting and Receiving made simple with the Adalm Pluto.
A full duplex radio in this kit makes demoing your communications systems simple, and connecting with satellites a seemless venture. The Standard Bowshock GS kit allows for reliable comms prototyping and the potential to bounce off repeater satellites, or run mission operations for your own.
Get started communicating with satellites and other objects in orbit today! You can communicate to the International Space Station, search for amateur satellite beacons, or pull telemetry off the latest SpaceX launches. FCC Licensing and/or Technical License for Amateur Operation may be required in the USA to transmit. Other countries check their local regulatory codes.
The Standard Bowshock GS kit is designed to be built by the beginning small satellite engineer. Some technical skill in electronics and hand tools is necessary. The kit includes a 9 element yagi antenna centered in the UHF region, an Adalm Pluto for transceiving, and a SatNOGs rotator for tracking. More information about the rotator can be found here: https://www.bowshocknetwork.com/product-page/satnogs-rotator-hardware-kit
Mission operators may consider upgrading the radio with a GPS signal source and power amplifier, along with bandpass filters to increase link budget and filter out noise and harmonics. More instructions can be found in the documentation pages for the Adalm Pluto https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/adalm-pluto.html#eb-documentation
The yagi can be upgraded to dish and feed with counterweight if desired. The total mesh dish size should be kept under 3ft and wind weather conditions checked to ensure rotator components are not damaged.
This platform is excellent for learning, but for those that want to squeeze a few extra decibals out of their set up, check out the Advanced Bowshock GS Kit.
Radio Technical Specifications:
- Radio: Adalm Pluto SDR
- Frequency Range: 325 MHz - 3.8 GHz
- Designed for Transceiving with a focus on Learning/Prototyping
- ADC: AD9363 12-bit programmable rate
- Bandwidth: 20 MHz
- Input Impedance: 50 Ohms
- Interface: USB
- Software Compatible with: GnuRadio IIO Blocks, plugins to other programs
- 9 Element Yagi
- Nominal Gain 11 dBi
- Center Frequency: 435 MHz
- VSWR: Less than 1.5:1
- Front to Back Ratio: Greater than 15dB
- Impedance: 50 Ohm
- Connector: SL16/UHF Female
- Pointing Accuracy: Less than 1 deg
- Size: 16 in x 15 in x 6 in
- Weight: 11 lbs
- Max Driving Current: 4A
- Max Power Consumption: 10.2 W
- Antenna Mount: 2x 40mm Aluminum Hollow Round Arms
- Base Mount: 40mm Aluminum Hollow Round
- Compatible with DirectTV Mount via Off the Shelf Brackets
- Weatherization and Case must be provided by customer
- Control Interface: Arduino with rotctld
- Control Software Compatible with: rotctld, PstRotator, GPredict, and more
- USB A to B 5ft Development Cable
- SMA 2ft Female to Female Cable
- Female to Female SMA Union Coupler
The kit does not include the following components
- Weather proof shielding for Rotator
- Tools to assemble